Yesterday, the doctors confirmed what we suspected, Isaiah has an infection near his g-tube site. It really didn’t start getting red until Wednesday night, when we first asked about it, but they didn’t think it was an infection at that time as his lab tests didn’t show it.
Well yesterday the surgeons came in and confirmed this to start him on antibiotics. Which means we will be in the hospital at least another two days. This also messes with his sodium balance that we just perfected, so it could be even longer.
Last night, after John had gone to work, they came in and decided that the infection needed to be drained. They didn’t want to wait, and he couldn’t have anesthesia because he just ate. So they just cut his skin open, dug around in there to drain everything out, and put some gauze on top. I felt so bad for him, and so helpless because there was nothing I could do to make him feel better.
I asked if the infection could have been causing his pain all along, and they said that it is possible. Which means that he may not have even had the intussusception to begin with. They can’t be sure which it was. I’m starting to see a strange similarity between doctors and weathermen… except one predicts the past and one the future.
This has really been a long stay. It’s been almost a week and I feel like we have hardly slept. Isaiah’s pain comes and goes, and he is just not himself. I really hope he is better soon so we can just go home and sleep in our own beds.